Memorial Day weekend is a celebration of the men, women, and canines who’ve bravely served our country, and can also be considered the official kickoff to summer – usually welcomed by BBQs, bathing suits, and sunshine. Most dogs really enjoy those summertime activities, so get out your sunscreen and the floating fetch toys, because here are a few of our favorite ways to include Buddy in our summer celebration.
- Swimming! Bring your pet to the lake or let them jump in the pool alongside everyone else. Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water and a shaded place to relax when they get tired.
- Popsicles! Only, these are more like pupsicles. Freeze some beef broth for a cool, yummy treat.
- Toys! Let Buddy kick off summer with a new float, squeak, or chew toy they can enjoy in the backyard where everyone else is.
- Dressing the part. Nothing says summer like a new outfit – maybe it’s time for a fun summer collar (or full outfit if they’re into clothes!)
- Safety first. Just like with humans, spending time in the sun doesn’t come without dangers. Consider buying some summer safety products like pet sunscreen, a life jacket, or even sunglasses if your pet spends ample time on a boat (the reflection off the water isn’t gentle on the eyes.) If you’re BBQing, be sure to keep cooked bones out of paws’ reach, especially chicken bones. And, again, always provide access to fresh water and shade.
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! Don’t forget to snap some photos of the fun for our Facebook page!