Cats are independent animals who mostly take care of themselves, but from time to time they need a little help from their pet parents. We all have seen cats clean themselves, which seems like an eternity of constant licking, but is your cat sufficiently grooming thoroughly? Here are some tips and tools you as a pet parent can use on your feline friend to assist in the grooming process.
Tools You Will Need
- Miracle Coat™ Cat Slicker Brush
- Dematting Comb
- Shedding Blade
- Nail Shaper™
Dematting Your Cat
- Start at the base of the mat, hold skin, and slowly pull dematting tool to loosen the mat. Picking at the mat with the dematting tool helps as well.
- You can also split the mat by cutting the mat up and then combing it out with the Miracle Coat™ Dematting Comb
- For large mats, try drying your cat after a bath with cool air, but do not towel dry, then comb out mats
- Without regular grooming, your cat could get painful mats that might lead to skin problems, so frequent grooming is very important
Shedding is a cat’s natural process of losing dead hair. If access shedding occurs or patches on fur become noticeable, you should take your cat to the vet for a closer checkup.
- Grooming regularly can decrease shedding and hair balls
- A good, healthy diet can also help with the amount of shedding
- The Miracle Coat™ Shedding Blade collects large amounts of hair at once and is fast and easy to use
- Glide the shedding blade over the cats coat and collect the loose, dead hair. Continue until you no longer see large bundles of hair in the shedding blade.
Tips For Grooming
- Make grooming a positive experience
- Start with shorter sessions to get your cat acclimated
- Let your cat get used to being touched, especially on the feet
- Provide lots of praise and treats
- Be careful around the chest and belly when brushing, these are sensitive areas
- Long haired cats need regular, very frequent grooming and brushing
- For regular brushing, use the Miracle Coat™ Cat Slicker Brush
Even though your cat’s coat is smooth and free of mats, you cannot neglect the nails. Learning about how to clip nails with the QuickFinder® and how to file them down to a smooth surface with the Nail Shaper™ will complete your feline friend’s grooming session.